Antipodes Vanilla Pod Hydrating Day Cream

A light but intensive facial day cream with pure botanical extracts from New Zealand. Revolutionary antioxidant Vinanza Grape from Marl...


A light but intensive facial day cream with pure botanical extracts from New Zealand. Revolutionary antioxidant Vinanza Grape from Marlborough sauvignon blanc grape seeds keeps your skin healthy and energised. Native New Zealand manuka honey Active 20+ has potent antibacterial properties to help keep skin clean and fresh. Meanwhile rosehip's high levels of Vitamin A and C and essential fatty acids help reduce the appearance of scars and wrinkles. Suited to most skin conditions.

Daily Ritual: Apply at sunrise by gently massaging across your face, neck and décolletage. Use after your favourite Antipodes cleanser, toner and serum.


Today I'm back with a review of the Antipodes Vanilla Pod Hydrating Day Cream. I don't know why this happens to me but I have a horrible habit of getting into a really good skincare routine and then the products that I use eventually become discontinued or receive a formula change, which is usually never an improvement. Basically, this is how I ended up purchasing this particular moisturiser. At $51.99, it isn't the cheapest on the market. But since I fell in love with Antipodes' Grace Cleanser, I thought I would see how the Vanilla Pod Hydrating Day Cream would fare.

A bit of background on my skin... I have fairly normal skin that is prone to dryness - mainly dry patches - on my cheeks and chin as well as a few clogged pores here and there. My skin is also super sensitive. I don't react to everything that is a potential irritant but I do try to avoid such ingredients in skincare and cosmetics. I am also prone to irritation/dermatitis, so when my skin doesn't like something, it will let me know almost immediately.


This Antipodes' moisturiser has a bunch of good things in it. I absolutely love the manuka honey, an antibacterial that will help to keep the skin clean and clear. The Vinanza Grape is an antibacterial too, and also helps with moisture retention, smoothing and firming the skin.

I have never used a moisturiser in cream form before. I would usually reach for the lotions, which are said to be much friendlier to blemish-prone skin. So I did have concerns that this day cream would be far too rich for my skin, even through it is on the drier side. However, I have not found this moisturiser to be heavy at all. Less really is more when it comes to this product. Once applied it leaves the skin feeling hydrated and looking smooth with a lovely matte finish, something I was quite happy about as my previous moisturiser left me looking super shiny. I have also noticed that this day cream makes for an excellent base before makeup application. I was concerned that because the product is heavily made-up of natural oils, my base makeup would break up over the course of the day. But everything goes on a lot smoother and hardly moves all day even when I haven't set with powder.



Ingredients: Aqua (water), Butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, sqaulane (vegetable) extract, Leptospermum scoparium mel (Active 20+ manuka) honey, Persea gratissima (avocado) oil, Macadamia ternifolia (macadamia nut) oil, Rosa canina (rosehip) oil, cetearyl olivate, sorbitan olivate, lecithin (vegetable) extract, Vitis vinifera (Vinanza Grape grape seed) extract, Macropiper excelsum (kawakawa leaf) extract, gluconolactone, sodium benzoate, calcium gluconate, essential oil fragrances of vanilla pod and mandarin: coumarin, d-Limonene, linalool, citral, geraniol


Another thing I have to mention is: don't be fooled by the 'vanilla pod' part of the name. This day cream does not smell like vanilla - candles, essence, bean or otherwise. I personally would love if it did have that scent but I do also love the mild vanilla cross mandarin essence it leaves on the skin. The moisturiser itself is off-white in colour as you can see in the image above - I'm so sorry that I already started to use it before photographing but I was desperate! I certainly wouldn't say that it is thick in texture; it just simply feels luxurious on the skin.

For me, there are only a couple downfalls to this product. The first is that the product comes in a jar. Although I keep my hands as clean as possible when handling skincare products, I just can't stand to think how much bacteria I may be putting back into the jar with my fingers. There are a few ways to prevent contamination though, such as never double dipping and using a clean icy pole stick to scoop the cream out of the jar. The second negative is that there is no SPF. This is fine - though still not ideal - for the Winter months. However, if you plan on using this day cream in the Summer, you will need another source of sun protection.

Overall, I am in love with the Antipodes Vanilla Pod Hydrating Day Cream as much as I am with the Grace Cleanser. I don't find it to be too rich for my skin at all, and it hasn't contributed to any breakouts, which is amazing. You can pick up the Antipodes range at your local Priceline, and I do believe that David Jones stocks it as well.

Have you tried the Antipodes Vanilla Pod Cream? What do you think of it?

Keep up to date with my posts on  B L O G L O V I N '.

Check out these posts from Little Darling Life

0 comments

Instagram